The project also has a Turkish name: “Çevre Dostu Kalkan Girişimini Destekliyoruz” (ÇDKGD) which translates as “We support the Environment Friendly Kalkan Initiative”. You may see references around town to both the English and Turkish names.
List of participating businesses
|NAME: Beginning with the letter A|
|Ali Baba Cafe|
|NAME: Beginning with the letter B|
|Bade Cafe Bar|
|Black and Gold Bar|
|Botanik Garden Bar|
|The Brothers restaurant|
|NAME: Beginning with the letter C|
|Cafe del Mar|
|Coast Tapas & Grill|
|NAME: Beginning with the letter D|
|Doy Doy restaurant|
|NAME: Beginning with the letter F|
|Fener Cafe & Brasserie|
|NAME: Beginning with the letter G|
|NAME: Beginning with the letter H|
|NAME: Beginning with the letter I
|Indigo Beach Club|
|NAME: Beginning with the letter J
|The Junction Cafe|
|NAME: Beginning with the letter K
|Kalamaki Dragon Chinese restaurant|
|Kaptan's Tapas and Grill|
|Korsan Fish Terrace|
|Korsan's Ko-Co Bar|
|Küçük Ev restaurant|
|NAME: Beginning with the letter L|
|Leaves Terrace restaurant|
|NAME: Beginning with the letter M|
|Marley's restaurant and bar|
|Mey and Meze restaurant|
|Mina Art Cafe|
|NAME: Beginning with the letter N
|NAME: Beginning with the letter O
|Ohannes Burger and Pub|
|Old Street Bar & Kitchen|
|Old Town Cafe and Hotel|
|Old Trading House|
|Olive Garden restaurant|
|Oz Adana cafe|
|NAME: Beginning with the letter P|
|Papatya Cafe (La Vanta)|
|NAME: Beginning with the letter R|
|NAME: Beginning with the letter S|
|Şaki la Terras restaurant|
|Saliha Sultan Cafe|
|Salt and Pepper restaurant|
|Shade Lounge Bar|
|Simbar and Beanies (Gelemiş)|
|NAME: Beginning with the letter T|
|NAME: Beginning with the letter Y|
|Yacht Point Bar|
|Yelken Cafe and Bar|
We Support Eco Kalkan (WSEK) Standards for Restaurants Cafes & Bars
- Standard 1. Recycling (mandatory). Separating waste into A. Returnable glass bottles (e.g. Efes beer); B. Other glass, plastic, paper/card and metal & C. Other waste.
- Standard 2. Not using single use plastic cutlery, plates, cups, tooth-picks, stirrers (or similar “decorations”), including stirrers for cocktails. (mandatory)
- Standard 3. Not automatically providing customers with single use plastic straws in drinks, but instead only giving straws out upon request. (mandatory)
- Standard 4. Not automatically providing customers with straws in drinks, and where they are requested providing paper straws or reusable straws (e.g. bamboo or metal).
- Standard 5. Plastic bottles - less than 25% of all bottled drinks to be from plastic containers (bottles or other types of plastic container).
- Standard 6. For take away service, less than 25% of all food/drinks containers to be plastic. Also not using plastic bags to put takeaway food in.
- Standard 7. Not giving out single use wet wipes, but instead giving them out only upon request. (individual sachets or larger packs).
- Standard 8. Not using single use plastic coffee capsules (pods) or single portion sachets of coffee/chocolate (e.g. Nescafe sachets).
- Standard 9. Using filtered tap water to reduce the use of bottled water.
- Standard 10. Disposing of used cooking oil responsibly through oil collection schemes.
Notes about these standards
These standards were developed in consultation with a number of Kalkan businesses. The aim is to maximise participation by making the certificate achievable for all restaurants, cafes and bars.
It could be said that some standards don’t go far enough however we would rather get the majority of businesses on board and working towards eco-friendly practices. Once on the journey we believe they will want to continue and go further. We aim to get most people on board and then work with them to raise the bar higher in subsequent years.
If you find a business displaying the WSEK certificate and they are not on this list please let us know: Contact KTLN
If you wish to provide feedback about a participating business specifically in relation to how they are doing in keeping to the WSEK principles, please click here to send us your feedback.
Note that feedback can be positive or negative. Where businesses may be falling short on their commitments we will take this up with them in person. Those businesses that are found to be consistently going the extra mile will be recognised at the end of the season.
And finally, a request to all restaurant, cafe and bar customers: when you are ordering your drinks and meals please can you make a point this year of saying that you don't want any plastic.
Love KTLN. Love Kalkan.
Independent. Comprehensive. Reliable.
Kalkan Turkish Local News - your window on Kalkan Turkey