This website is using cookies
Please note that if you do not agree with our use of cookies, you should not visit or use this web site.  For more information on cookies click here:

Belediye (Council) (1)

Friday, 08 June 2018 09:34

Kaş Belediye (Local Council)

The Belediye is the local government organisation.  It’s like a town council in the UK.

This article tells you what the Belediye does and how you can contact them.

Until a few years ago Kalkan ran its own affairs but things changed with the local government elections in March 2014, which saw the local seat of government move to Kaş.  

The Kaş Belediye is responsible for the management of the district’s affairs and the provision of local services.  Kaş district has a population of 59,716 (2019) and includes places like Gömbe, Kalkan, Kınık, Yeşilköy, many outlying villages and of course Kaş town itself.  The population of Kalkan in 2019 was 3,617.

Kaş Belediye is part of, and reports into the Antalya Büyükşehir Belediye, which is the provincial level of government.

The main Belediye office in Kaş is at Atatürk Bulvarı. No. 18 Kaş, 07580

Web site: Kas Belediye

Contact details for Kaş Belediye can be found at this web page: Contact Kas Belediye

The Mayor of Kaş is Mutlu Ulutaş.  See image below.  He was elected in March 2019.

Mutlu Ulutaş - Mayor of Kaş

There is still a local Belediye office in Kalkan on Karayolları Sokak (where the Thursday market is held), with a few members of staff, including the uniformed Zabita.  Their telephone number is 0242 844 3131.  If you have any complaints or issues with any Belediye services you should contact the local Belediye office in Kalkan.

If you are not happy with the response from the Kalkan Zabita you may escalate matters to the main Zabita office in Kaş.  ZABITA MÜDÜRLÜĞÜ (Zabita Department) Ferhat GÜNGÖR / ZABITA MÜDÜRÜ (Manager) Phone: 0 242 836 10 20 / Ext: 115
  Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.


Rubbish Collection and cleaning

The Belediye operates a rubbish collection service.  There is no set schedule for the refuse wagons coming round, although they do appear to vary the frequency of collection to fit in with seasonal factors.  Kalkan has communal bins on the streets rather than bins at each property.

In 2017 the Belediye introduced some limited waste recycling.  In 2018 KTLN worked hard to promote recycling through the Eco Friendly Kalkan project.  This was successful for a time until the recycling sub-contractor pulled out of the arrangement and all collections of recyclable waste stopped.  There is currently no significant recycling going on in Kaş district.

The Belediye has a responsibility to keep the streets and pavements clean.  If you see a serious litter/rubbish problem and wish to bring it to the attention of the Beleidye we suggest taking photos and visiting the Belediye office in Kalkan.  Speak to the Zabita.

If they can’t resolve your problem you may need to raise it with the main office in Kaş.  TEMİZLİK İŞLERİ MÜDÜRLÜĞÜ (Cleaning Department) Çisem ÜNSAL / TEMİZLİK İŞLERİ MÜDÜRÜ (Manager) Phone: 0242 836 3006 Ext:20

Another suggestion for getting litter/rubbish issues resolved is to email the Belediye in Kaş at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. and also copy in the Cleaning Department in Kaş This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Local Roads

There has been significant road building or resurfacing activity in and around Kalkan over recent years.

The local roads in town and to local villages are the responsibility of the municipality, in terms of maintenance, repairs and keeping them clean.

The main D400 highway that goes towards Kaş and Fethiye falls under central government control.  The D400 is a major arterial round around the Turkish coast and many sections are being upgraded to dual carriageway.

Planning Permission
The Belediye decides who can build and where.  There are green belt areas where building is not allowed.  You can see the designated green areas in this council map.

Kalkan Map

The main planning department is located on the second floor of the main Belediye office in Kaş.  

Pest Control & Street Animals

For many years the Belediye has taken the initiative in controlling the mosquito population in Kalkan.  You will occasionally see men, affectionately known as “mozzie-busters” walking round the streets spraying pools and other standing water that may be a breeding ground for mosquitos.  There is also a truck that drives round from time to time spraying the air.  It is an ongoing operation and over time it has had a significant impact on the mosquito population.

The subject of stray cats and dogs is an emotive one.  KAPSA has taken a lead in local animal welfare and has undertaken neutering initiatives with approval and assistance from the Belediye.  Ultimately however it is the Belediye that is responsible in law for stray animals.  The Belediye is also responsible for the management of the local animal shelter just outside Kaş but this only functions due to volunteers giving up their time to look after the dogs.  

Noise and light pollution
There are legal limits on noise and light at certain times of day and night, as regulated by the Environment & Forestry Ministry (Çevre ve Orman Bakanlığından).  This kind of nuisance can be from noisy neighbours, construction work or maybe late night bars.  

If you are being unreasonably disturbed you have two options.  You can contact the Zabita or the Jandarma.  The Zabita are normally only contactable during office hours.

With noisy neighbours (usually at night) if they won't be reasonable you should call the Jandarma on 156 or direct on 0242 844 3005.  It's the same with late night noise from bars.

With construction noise you should initially contact the Zabita in Kalkan, either in person or by calling 0242 844 3131.  Noisy construction work in tourist towns like Kalkan is limited by laws made in Ankara, overseen by the Ministry of Tourism.  The Belediye has no authority to override these national laws.  The construction season is limited to between 15th October and 15th May, between the hours of 08.00 and 20.00 only.  Construction outside these dates and times is prohibited.

Property Tax (Council tax or rates equivalent)

Your local property tax is payable to the Belediye in two instalments.  The first must be paid by the end of May, with the second instalment due in November.  You can pay it all in May if you prefer.  Tax is payable for each person registered on the title deeds (tapu).  Failure to pay your property tax will result in a fine.  The amount of tax paid is dependent upon the size of your property, but amounts are significantly less than you would typically pay in the UK.

Other local services
The Belediye is also responsible for the following:
- Fire and accident response team
- Landscaping and gardening
- Beach services - beach cafe, sunbeds and umbrellas, public toilets

Water supply and drains
Please note that in 2014 the responsibility for providing water services was transferred from the Belediye to ASAT, a company based in Antalya.


KTLN logo white



Love KTLN. Love Kalkan.

Independent.  Comprehensive.  Reliable.

Your window on Kalkan Turkey